Whist there is considerable criticism leveraged at wine shows (particularly large, capital city shows) on a smaller, regional scale they are both important and relevant.
For the perfect example of this, we can look no further than the 2008 Margaret River Wine Show results, which where released today (and the full results can be found here). At this regional level, vintage variation, standout producers, and varietal trends are all evident, giving some excellent snapshots into what’s hot and what’s not in a given wine region.
So, after trawling through the results (Yes, I am obsessed, which normal person spends time wading through wine show results) I can’t help but agree with much of the results:
– 2008 is a cracker of a vintage in Margaret River, particularly for aromatic whites. It is simply to early to be judging Margaret River Semillon & Chardonnay from 08 though, they both need much more time.
– 2007 was also a great vintage, particularly for Cabernet Sauvignon/blends & Chardonnay. Shiraz struggled somewhat in 2007.
– 2006 (the very cool vintage) was a hard year for reds, Shiraz faring better than Cabernet/Blends which struggled in the cool vintage. Glorious vintage for Chardonnay and full bodied whites.
– Shiraz needs some time in bottle before it will show well here. Cabernet is still the leading red variety in Margaret River and benefits from judicious blending.
– Straight Merlot continues to fail to live up to expectations.
– Sauv Blanc & blends, Chardonnay & Cabernet/blends continue to reign as the best varieties out of Margaret River
– Sparkling wines & sweet whites in Margaret River? No good.
– Top Margaret River Chardonnays, Semillon Sauvignon Blancs, Shiraz & Cabernet/blends will generally benefit substantially from even 2-3 years in bottle.
Oh and the trophy winners where:
|Best Wine of Show||1 – 23||Portavin||Houghton Gladstones Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon 2007|
|Most Successful Exhibitor||1 – 27||Macquarie||Evans & Tate|
|Best Cabernet Sauvignon||7, 17||O-I||Houghton Gladstones Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon 2007|
|Best Chardonnay||1, 12||Loscam||Clairault Wines Chardonnay 2007|
|Best Museum Wine||24 – 27||Seasol International||Brookland Valley Chardonnay 2005|
|Best Cabernet Sauvignon
|8, 18||Cospak (O-I)||Flametree Margaret River Cabernet Merlot 2007|
|Best Sauvignon Blanc||2, 13||Wine Shack||Capel Vale Exclusive Margaret River Sauvignon Blanc 2008|
|Best Semillon||3, 14||Labelworld|
|Best blends of Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc||4, 15||Vinline||Edwards Semillon Sauvignon Blanc 2008|
|Best Shiraz||10, 20||Visy Board||Windance Shiraz 2007|
|Optimus Alias (Best Other)||5, 6, 9, 11, 16, 19, 21, 22, 23||United Equipment||Evans & Tate Margaret River Merlot 2007|
Interesting to see that Flametree Cabernet Merlot pick up yet another trophy too: must get me one of those to try.
HELP KEEP THIS SITE FREE
Rather than using a paywall or bombarding you with ads I simply ask for a small contribution via the Paypal link below. Any amount welcome, it all helps keep this site free.